Constructed in 1866 and is the longest timber viaduct in Australia. The Prince Alfred Bridge at Gundagai is significant for aesthetic, historical, engineering and tourism reasons.
The bridge has considerable technical and design significance. The bridge is possibly the oldest iron truss bridge built in New South Wales. The steel section of the bridge which spans the river is of an unusual design, consisting of three under-slung Howe trusses, spanning 94m which are seated on four pairs of piers.
The timber approach spans are among the longest such timber structures in New South Wales. The bridge is an important engineering achievement for its time.
The bridge had a lengthy association with transport, communications and trade on the very important Sydney-Melbourne route extending over a century; it has played a role in the development of south-eastern Australia.
The landscape at Gundagai is dominated by three bridges which span the Murrumbidgee flood plain.
The Prince Alfred Bridge is next to the railway bridge, both steel and timber structures. Both bridges spring virtually from the same point on the northern side, but separate at an angle as they continue on to South Gundagai.
The Prince Alfred Bridge has always been highly valued by the residents of Gundagai and from its earliest days it became a fashionable place to promenade, particularly on Sunday afternoons, when large numbers of people enjoyed a stroll on the bridge.
For more information, click here.